[TYPO3-debian] Packaging some extensions?

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Sun Nov 16 14:32:49 CET 2008

Hi.

On 15.11.2008 21:18 Christian Welzel wrote:
> Steffen Müller wrote:
>

>> Did you take transition to TYPO3 v.5 into account?
>
> i will think about packing v5 when its released. until then, i will not
> work on this. but as i have read from some posts v4 will live after release
> of v5, so my question is still valid.

My opinion is that v.4 will not be supported very long after there is a
transition path to v.5. afaik there are no official "v.4 will be
supported until XXX/ at least for XXX years" statements. Considering the
increasing efforts in a technical transition, the chances for v.4
support shrink.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your efforts in packaging. But support
promises are very vague in the long term. And TYPO3 v.4 in lenny+1 imho
has to be regarded as a long term project.

> btw there will be no automatic upgrade path from v4 packages to v5 packages
> in debian.

This is a reason for me not to use a debian package, but a native TYPO3
installation. The holy cow was always taken serious and from my point of
view will be in questions of upgrading to v.5.

But this is just my personal opinion. I am not an official (in terms of
the association) or a core member. Just a long term lurker. ;-)

--
cheers,
Steffen

http://www.t3node.com/