[TYPO3-debian] debian packages for 4.0.1

Matteo Anceschi manceschi at arscolor.com
Fri Sep 1 18:58:45 CEST 2006

Hello Sven and others,

Il 01/09/2006 17.43, Sven Wilhelm ha scritto:
> Hello Christian and *,
>
> the core packaging itself is not very complicated, but also doesn't
> provide you any benefit if you do "only the packaging".

Yes, broadly speaking you're true...however I think that a first
"suboptimal" packaging would be a very good idea.

Look at this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/08/msg00005.html
Assuming that Etch will be release in time (we're doing our roadmap, so
we can ignore the delay that etch has now), you can see that a general
freeze is scheduled for Wed 18 Oct 06.
Some remarks:
1) if the official mantainer don't reply, we have to contact someone to
sponsor our effort: first time delay, say one week (in my opinion, it's
optimistic, but I could be wrong)
2) having found a sponsor, our package go in Sid: 2 days.
3) The minimum time amout required by dak to have our package accepted
in testing/Etch from unstable/Sid is, as you know, 10 days.
4) We can expect to find some bugs...if someone will find only a single
RC bug (as an FTBFS or uninstallability) in the meantime, we must add: 5
days to resolve and re-package, 10 days for another transition from Sid
to Etch.

So I say: we can also package like Christian one, and trying to put in
to testing. In the meantime, you/we can continue working on your very
good proposal: as you imagine, my first concern is to be late for this
Debian release.

> So if I can base on phing, I can do simply packaging for any
> distribution, also for the "Windows distribtion" :)
>
> The pros doing it this way is to have a generic "build process" that can
> trigger itself
>
> * lint checking of code (not the present code, I know :)
> * checking project guidelines such as coding style
>   (maybe you know checkstyle from java)
> * generating api document (doxygen or phpdoc)
>
> I know that many parts of this should be integrated into the TYPO3core
> repository and maybe the will be integrated, that's not my decision.
>
> If this will integrated, phing tasks will be available to build
> "nightly" debs for testing, so you will not only have stable debs but
> also testing debs,zips,tar.gz.

I don't know phing, but for me is fine :)

> So my packaging work at the moment:
[snip]
> * typo3 manager (company internal project) - License not known yet

I imagine that you know well DFSG license compliance, in every case take
a look for example at
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#head-f3fefd62b09bb9c76a5efbfab5763ff4d6b25cf9

> Kind regards from Darmstadt/Germany
>
> Sven