[TYPO3-debian] debian packages for 4.0.1

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at moduleBox.com
Fri Sep 1 17:43:40 CEST 2006

Hello Christian and *,

the core packaging itself is not very complicated, but also doesn't
provide you any benefit if you do "only the packaging".

For the core packaging I can throw out debs, thats no problem.

I do work in integrating phing into the packaging process, a make system
inspired by ant (java) and written in PHP.

So if I can base on phing, I can do simply packaging for any
distribution, also for the "Windows distribtion" :)

The pros doing it this way is to have a generic "build process" that can
trigger itself

* lint checking of code (not the present code, I know :)
* checking project guidelines such as coding style
  (maybe you know checkstyle from java)
* generating api document (doxygen or phpdoc)

I know that many parts of this should be integrated into the TYPO3core
repository and maybe the will be integrated, that's not my decision.

If this will integrated, phing tasks will be available to build
"nightly" debs for testing, so you will not only have stable debs but
also testing debs,zips,tar.gz.

Preparing this in a fundamental solid way, important work for the
core-5.0 distribution is prepared (in my eyes) and will be tested on
present available code.

All this core packaging work, and the work on other related packages is
my task in our company and will be part of a TYPO3 distribution we will
publish in near future.

So my packaging work at the moment:
* phing - LGPL
* phpdoc - LGPL
* typo3 core - GPL
  - which generates several sub packages
* typo3 manager (company internal project) - License not known yet

That's the "big picture" :)

If there are several people interested in packaging, maybe we can do a
conference session.

Kind regards from Darmstadt/Germany

Sven