[Typo3-debian] Debian stable version 3.1 --> apt-get update&apt-get dist-upgrade

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Fri Jun 17 18:59:05 CEST 2005

Hello Jordan,

> ... It's not the biggest intranet, only some inhouse
> information so they can do without it for some days.....

Puhh. :)

>> Did you run manually
>> # lilo
>> after all the upgrades?
>
> No ;-) Should I have done this after the upgrade? I have 4 different
> stable
> woodies left to be upgraded to v3.1 stable. So this tip can come in handy.
> So your tip is to make sure after upgrading the system ALWAYS DO A
> MANUALLY
> LILO after upgraden?

Yes, please try do so in the future.

The reason for this tricky: Having installed the "latest" lilo with
apt-get on your debian system actually does not mean it has been written
to the MasterBootRecord (MBR) of the disk - it`s just "available" for your
debian system now, but not actually used on boot time until you manually
force/tell  lilo to do so.

So on a working debian os installation just type

# lilo

after every lilo update. It then expects lilo.conf in /etc .

You can type in as well:

# lilo -c /etc/lilo.conf

or

# lilo -c /path/to/your/personallilo.conf

The good thing: That`s all you have to do - lilo will use the
configuration from your lilo.conf and write the so configured bootloader
to the MBR. (Means, the lilo.conf on one of your partitions ( in most
cases of course / ) itself is of course NOT useable and therefore not used
at boottime.)

>> - get the ISO-Image of "Knoppix" (latest version is 3.9 afaik, it`s a
>> kind
>> of "Debian-on-a-Boot-CD" ;) ) from
>> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/
>> - burn the image to a cd-r(w)
>
> Done this...

Great! 8)

> Let's see if this will work coming Monday. I hope it will. I will let you
> know on this news thread.

Thanks. :)

If you encounter trouble with knoppix , chroot (if necessary) or similar -
just let me know...

> If everything is working again I assume I still
> have a lot of work to do to make sure every package that's upgraded is
> going
> to function as well. More this coming Monday on this.

I fear, you are correct here as well - 200+ new updated packages usually
leave a lot of "re-configuration fun"... :|

But it`s worth it and absolutely possible! :)

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany