[Typo3-debian] Debian stable version 3.1 --> apt-get update&apt-get dist-upgrade

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 16:09:52 CEST 2005

Hi Alexander,

> i am sorry to hear you`re in trouble :(  -  let`s try to to fix this issue
> together. :)

Let's see. Hopefully your tips will resolve my problems. I took 3 days off
on my job and explained that probably the intranet will function again
coming Monday ;-) LOL. I didn't do the upgrade on production servers but on
our own intranet ;-) It's not the biggest intranet, only some inhouse
information so they can do without it for some days.....

> A possibile reason *could* be an old lilo boot block, still installed on
> your MBR of your hard disk, having problems with an updated lilo
> configuration means a new kernel-image (from sarge) or similar on your
> root
> partition..
> Did you run manually
> # lilo
> after all the upgrades?

No ;-) Should I have done this after the upgrade? I have 4 different stable
woodies left to be upgraded to v3.1 stable. So this tip can come in handy.
So your tip is to make sure after upgrading the system ALWAYS DO A MANUALLY
LILO after upgraden?

> - get the ISO-Image of "Knoppix" (latest version is 3.9 afaik, it`s a kind
> of "Debian-on-a-Boot-CD" ;) ) from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/
> - burn the image to a cd-r(w)

Done this...

> - boot from the knoppix cd-r(w)
> - mount your "true" root-partition (  /  ) from your hard disk as the
> writeable root-partition under knoppix:
> # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
> # chroot /mnt/hda1
> - now check and setup your /etc/lilo.conf !!
> - after you`ve done this, let lilo write a *brand new* bootloader with the
> *new* values from the "/etc/lilo.conf" you`ve just checked/edited:
> # lilo -c /etc/lilo.conf
> Pray & hopefully happily reboot from your hard disk! :)

Let's see if this will work coming Monday. I hope it will. I will let you
know on this news thread. If everything is working again I assume I still
have a lot of work to do to make sure every package that's upgraded is going
to function as well. More this coming Monday on this.

Thanks for the tip(s) so far.

Regards
Jordan van Bergen
jordanvanbergen at gmail.com