AW: [Typo3-debian] Debian stable version 3.1 --> apt-get update &apt-get dist-upgrade

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Wed Jun 15 21:56:30 CEST 2005

Hi Jordan,

> Now the system is stuck on LILO. I see LI on the screen and
> after this
> nothing happens. So probably lilo is configured in such a way
> that the boot
> partition doesn't work or so.
>
> Can anyone please explain how to get into a system that's not running
> anymore after a distribution upgrade and a hang in LILO when
> booting? how to
> make sure the harddisc will boot Debian linux again without reuning
> everything that's on the harddisc?

i am sorry to hear you`re in trouble :(  -  let`s try to to fix this issue
together. :)

A possibile reason *could* be an old lilo boot block, still installed on
your MBR of your hard disk, having problems with an updated lilo
configuration means a new kernel-image (from sarge) or similar on your root
partition..

Did you run manually

# lilo

after all the upgrades?

Anyway, now let`s try to find a quick and good solution. My suggestion would
be:

- get the ISO-Image of "Knoppix" (latest version is 3.9 afaik, it`s a kind
of "Debian-on-a-Boot-CD" ;) ) from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

- burn the image to a cd-r(w)

- boot from the knoppix cd-r(w)

- mount your "true" root-partition (  /  ) from your hard disk as the
writeable root-partition under knoppix:

# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
# chroot /mnt/hda1

- now check and setup your /etc/lilo.conf !!

- after you`ve done this, let lilo write a *brand new* bootloader with the
*new* values from the "/etc/lilo.conf" you`ve just checked/edited:

# lilo -c /etc/lilo.conf

Pray & hopefully happily reboot from your hard disk! :)

If it still doesn`t work or if other issues occur, just let me know. :)

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany

If privacy or security of communication is on your mind, feel free to
establish a secure transmission using the PGP public key obtainable from
http://www.schories.com/alexander/pubkey/alexander_schories.asc