[Typo3-debian] Debian stable version 3.1 --> apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:25:19 CEST 2005

Hi All,

Christian explained:

>In any case it's good to have at least 1-2h left for fixing problems after
>upgrading. :-)

So in my case I was preparing myself for 3 hours of fixing ;-) but it's
becoming more like 3 days I'm afraid ;-(((( what has happened?

Upgraded woody stable to the new stable debian version 3.1 (sarge) using:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

250+ packages upgraded. Lot of questions to be answered. After 30 minutes or
so it was upgraded and still functioning (not all packages but the server
was still working ;-). I had connection using SSH, even after a restart of
the ssh daemon.

Just to make sure the distribution upgrade to the new stable debian was okay
I did a reboot (shutdown -r now).

Now the system is stuck on LILO. I see LI on the screen and after this
nothing happens. So probably lilo is configured in such a way that the boot
partition doesn't work or so.

Can anyone please explain how to get into a system that's not running
anymore after a distribution upgrade and a hang in LILO when booting? how to
make sure the harddisc will boot Debian linux again without reuning
everything that's on the harddisc?

Hope anyone can help me with the lilo problem. It's not typo3 related but
still.......

Regards

Jordan van Bergen
jordanvanbergen at gmail.com