[Typo3-debian] gd & im on Sid

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Fri Apr 15 13:36:07 CEST 2005

Hi Steve, Hi Michael,

> This seems to be my absolute naiveness on the subject. I was wrongly
> assuming
> that php4-imagick was a php module for image magick?

No, you are ABSOLUTELY right assuming that php4-imagick IS THE php module
for imagemagick.

However, Typo3 uses IMAGEMAGICK DIRECTLY VIA SHELL/CMD-LINE TOOLS (usually
supplied with imagemagick) and NOT imagemagic-functions via php, means NOT
the php module!

So you have to install the "true" imagemagick package. Two ways will lead
to success:

a) good old imagemagick 4.29 - easy and ready within minutes

Better stick to an old, truly stable and fast version. Go and get it from:
http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/linux/

http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/linux/imagemagick-4.2.9_i386-static-3.tar.gz

I did it this way and i am still *very* happy. Thanks to Michael for
supplying this package!

b) graphicsmagick + wrapper - apply a small patch and you`re up2date and
happy

Michael and other truly great guys of the typo3-debian community put a lot
of work and effort in having graphicsmagick - a faster, stable and up2date
fork of imagemagick - ready for typo3. They made packages and the wrapper
patch for typo3. Get more info and the wrapper from:

http://www.mstucki.net/files/typo3/

Hope this will help you. I currently not at home, so please excuse the
lack of info (apt-get sources / download sources for graphicsmagick) i can
give you right now.

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen,Germany