[Typo3-debian] gd & im on Sid

Steve Turnbull steve.turnbull at yhgfl.net
Fri Apr 15 13:12:11 CEST 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 09:32, Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > I have the libraries installed, as in I have image magick installed, but
> > I *couldn't* do a 'apt-get install php4-imagick'. I got errors saying
> > that unmet dependencies prevented the install, and that these wouldn't be
> > installed!
> >
> > However! On writing this email and wanting to be correct in my response,
> > I searched for the link which originally made me realise that this was a
> > know problem;
> > http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/
> >
> > BUT, I have tried this morning to do a 'apt-get install php4-imagick' and
> > it worked :-) Obviously this is a problem which has now been resolved.
> > Thanks for your reply anyway...
>
> I'm puzzled! Why did you want to install php4-imagick?
> TYPO3 uses ImageMagick but makes absolutely no use of php4-imagick!

Sorry to sound confusing...

This seems to be my absolute naiveness on the subject. I was wrongly assuming
that php4-imagick was a php module for image magick? Anyway, having installed
the package, I still get errors using the typo3 install tool under 'Image
Processing'.

The link I provided actually references the Sid GD libraries, and maybe this
is what is still wrong with my setup.

Also, the reason wht I was assuming that Image Magick was at fault was because
I had google'd and other people seemed to think that this could be the case?

Anyway, the errors I have via the install tool are (other tests succeed);

1. Reading Image Formats
- Read JPG
- Read GIF
- Read PNG
- Read TIF
- Read BMP
- Read PCX
- Read TGA
- Read PDF
All show 'File size is very different from reference'

3. Scaling Images
- GIF to JPG, 150 pixels wide
Shows 'File size is very different from reference'

4. Combining Images
- Combine using a JPG mask with graylevels
Shows 'File size is very different from reference'

5. GD Lib
- Create image from file
- Render text with TrueType font using 'niceText' option
- Render 'niceText' with a shadow under
All show 'File size is very different from reference'

The reason I want this working is to create graphical type headers, which I
can currently do on our production (Woody) server, but not on our development
(Sid) server. The reason for Sid and not Sarge BTW, is because Sid will soon
become 'testing' which is what we want for our dev server.

Regards
Steve