[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Christian Leutloff leutloff at debian.org
Wed Oct 27 08:57:00 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'd like to see Typo3 as a part of official Debian archive. After some
private email with Michael, I've started with the packages
provided by Michael for version 3.5 and move the files from debian
typo3-src 3.7.0.

But I have a principal question: I'd like to be able to use different
versions of typo3 on the same server (including different databases). I
would like to use this setup to test new versions before I upgrade the
production system. Additionally it should be possible to delete the
backend to increase the security of the frontend server (as mentioned in
the great Typo3 book from Altmann, Fritz, Hinderink). Therefor the
whole package layout of typo3 would consist of the following packages:

- typo3-src-frontend-3.6, typo3-src-frontend-3.7, etc. PHP-Sources of
Typo3 for the frontend; used source will be determined through a symlink
or appropriate apache configuration; I hope, that 3.7.1 and up only
differs slightly from 3.7.0, so an upgrade even of a production system
is possible.

- typo3-src-backend-3.6, typo3-src-backend-3.7, etc. Backend-Sources of
Typo3

- typo3-db-dummy, typo3-db-quickstart - Database tables/templates

- typo3-site-installer (or typo3-common or typo3-site-manager) -
provides utilities used to manage typo3 (select database
template/source/extensions etc.); the site-installer is upstream
maintained in a different place, it is targeted to different typo3
versions -> therefor I'd like to use a different package.

- typo3-<extensions>

- typo3 - virtual package provided for an easy start with typo3 -
depends on last typo3-src version plus quickstart database

What do you think about this package layout?

Bye
Christian

--
Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany