[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Lars E. D. Jensen ledj-typo3 at dcmedia.biz
Wed Oct 27 10:38:59 CEST 2004

Christian Leutloff wrote:

> But I have a principal question: I'd like to be able to use different
> versions of typo3 on the same server (including different databases). I
> would like to use this setup to test new versions before I upgrade the
> production system. Additionally it should be possible to delete the
> backend to increase the security of the frontend server (as mentioned in
> the great Typo3 book from Altmann, Fritz, Hinderink). Therefor the
> whole package layout of typo3 would consist of the following packages:

Hmmm... I don't think see any real use for removing the entire backend.
What if the website should be edited, should an editor then call the
sysadmin and ask to install the backend package?

If one don't want others to have access to BE then a .htaccess file or a
rewriterule in apache would be sufficient I think.
Actually I don't see how removing the BE would make it more secure. You will
still be able to hack the website through other channels than logging into
the backend, which I think is the least concern since logins can be logged
and is protected very good with e.g. SSL based backend.

> - typo3-src-frontend-3.6, typo3-src-frontend-3.7, etc. PHP-Sources of
> Typo3 for the frontend; used source will be determined through a symlink
> or appropriate apache configuration; I hope, that 3.7.1 and up only
> differs slightly from 3.7.0, so an upgrade even of a production system
> is possible.

Upgrades can always be done nomatter what version you upgrade from. I don't
think just upgrading packages would be sufficient, TYPO3 is designed to
also update the database on a production system through its Install Tool
and therefore an upgrade of the database should not be avoided no matter
what when the source is upgraded.

> - typo3-src-backend-3.6, typo3-src-backend-3.7, etc. Backend-Sources of
> Typo3
>
> - typo3-db-dummy, typo3-db-quickstart - Database tables/templates
>
> - typo3-site-installer (or typo3-common or typo3-site-manager) -
> provides utilities used to manage typo3 (select database
> template/source/extensions etc.); the site-installer is upstream
> maintained in a different place, it is targeted to different typo3
> versions -> therefor I'd like to use a different package.
>
> - typo3-<extensions>
>
> - typo3 - virtual package provided for an easy start with typo3 -
> depends on last typo3-src version plus quickstart database
>
> What do you think about this package layout?

I think the current structure of Michaels TYPO3 package is very good. It
should merely be upgraded with some more functions and be compatible with
newer versions of TYPO3.

Don't want to be rude to your ideas, but I think the part of the TYPO3
source package design is very complicated and unnecessary (limiting
overkill). But maybe I have misunderstood something.

The other packages like typo3-db-dummy, typo3-db-quickstart etc. would be
very nice to have for the community :)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen - DCmedia - TYPO3 Business Solutions