AW: AW: AW: [Typo3-debian] MMCACHE

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Sat Oct 23 18:01:27 CEST 2004

> please stop the fullquotes!!

Why? Do these bytes cost so much traffic?! I personally prefer threads with
fullquotes, because of clear relation and unforgetten points..

But ok..

> That's not true! The mailing lists show that there are still
> some people
> taking care of it, and I truely believe that they will come
> up with a new
> version one day...

Ahem.. one day ... yeah .. sure. One day there will be <put in your all
wishes here>.

I mean, do you *really* believe that - or is it just a wish (that i share as
well, but still have to cope with today.)?

Come on! As everybody knows you are no fool. I am sure you know, as well as
i do, that ZEND managed to employ some very qualified developers out of
these projects. That`s only good and fair for the employees - however, it is
of course sad for those projects, the people (like you and me) using them -
esp. because of the high prices of ZENDs "new" products.

> My impression was that Turck-MMcache was much faster than
> phpAccelerator.
> That's all I need, so I don't care about the rest.

Of course CACHE is faster THAN ANY REPROCESSING! But:

Some scripts can`t be cached or it does not make sense for them, e.g. the
BackEnd of Typo3, some charts, boards etc. ..

PHP can be accelerated for all scripts - even for those that don`t work with
cache (boards etc.). So this is the first thing i prefer - because it works
for GLOBAL for ALL scripts.

But hey! It`s YOUR decission what you use! I JUST EXPLAINED the diff. of
MMCache and PHPaccelerator. No more!

Furthermore i just wanted to point out the thruth by facts: All free caches
and accellerators are - at least in my timeline - outdated and seem to be
abandoned. Years and more with no current releases, news and updates do
speak a clear language - esp. in such a busy part like PHP..

It`s not nice. I dislike very much as well. But this keeps to be true. Have
a look on the project pages on your own, please. It simply doesn`t matter
whether one`s liking it or not.

For me it was important to explain the problems in conjunction with these -
in my view - outdated packages like MMCache and, sadly, expensive ways to
stay out of trouble when you are running PHP and Typo3 for a serious
business.

I have finished that. Now it is on everybody own decission to choose either
of those mentioned ways.

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany