AW: AW: [Typo3-debian] MMCACHE

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Oct 23 17:26:55 CEST 2004

Hi Alexander,

please stop the fullquotes!!

> Well, you got it: That`s exactly the problem - on some machines it works
> well - but on others don`t... Not easy to find out or to change, when the
> project seems to be dead. ;-(

That's not true! The mailing lists show that there are still some people
taking care of it, and I truely believe that they will come up with a new
version one day...

> One more "problem": MMCache is "only" a cache, for a real, complete boost
> - comparable to ZEND`s commercial stuff - ionCube PHP Accelerator is
> needed as
> well. http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/  However this one is somewhat
> outdated as well (tested with PHP 4.3.0, released on January, 14 2003).

My impression was that Turck-MMcache was much faster than phpAccelerator.
That's all I need, so I don't care about the rest.

BTW, Turck-MMcache seems to have better "change-detection" than PHPa because
I remember many problems of PHPa-users after updating TYPO3, but never had
such problems with MMcache. (However, cleaning the cache will solve this,
of course.)

> Even for those, like you and me, where it runs fine: they won`t be able to
> use Turck MMCache or ionCube PHP Accelerator with PHP5.. That`s bad for
> all, because it`s absolutely clear that more and more projects, so as
> typo3, will move to - or even depend on - PHP5 in the next months.

TYPO3 does already support PHP5 but most of all extensions still don't!
There is a patch for Turck-MMcache that seems to make it work with PHP5 -
maybe have a try!

> To make it short: It sadly seems that all kind of *free* (or even
> affordable!) PHP boosters suffer from support or are in fact abandoned. :(

Not true.

- michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html