[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Nov 18 11:31:47 CET 2004

Hi Peter,

> It might need some more investigations on splitting the source-dist into
> smart FE and BE packages(that has been on my [low prio]todo list for a
> long time) but believe it is worth it. I know of some
> (typo3-)installations that don't want BE-Stuff on production-system by
> company-policy.

Come on, what difference does it make for a big company if the Backend is
_deleted_ or turned off?

The big point is that we cannot be sure that any extension is using a
function from within typo3/ (not the extension directory, but all the
rest).

If we simply add the die() command on top of typo3/index.php, then we are
sure the Backend is no longer working BUT all other files are still
accessible!

> I *had* a look at it/your mail. Of course it is a nice idea! Something
> similar is good practise via .htaccess or httpd.conf as well. It's just
> a matter of why distribute files to a production-server which are not
> intended to be used at all?

They are used! The backend needs to be opened at least _once_ so you'll have
to install it anyway.

Then you could remove it, yes. But I have no problem with 1.5 megabytes more
or less on my disk. (That's exactly the size of typo3/ without the
extensions and the system extensions!)

> that's true! Actually you don't need to convince me but the maintainer. ;)

Yes I'm waiting for his feedback...

- michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html