[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Thu Nov 18 10:37:45 CET 2004

Hi Mr "crazy down the hill" ;)

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Hi Peter,
>

>>>How would you like to handle all the extensions that are located in
>>>/typo3/ext?
>>>Would you like to keep them all in /typo3conf?
>>
>>I might be naive but why not leave/put them into typo3/ext?
>>I wouldn't consider this to be 'backend'.
>>Any reason why this wouldn't work?
>

> The reason for his comment is that the current packages are split:
>
> typo3-frontend: Everthing except typo3/ and _all_ of its contents
> typo3-backend: typo3/
>
> Maybe you didn't realize this yet... ;-)

Yes I did. ;) I might now have been precise enough though, why not *move
'typo3/ext' from BE to FE-Package?

It might need some more investigations on splitting the source-dist into
smart FE and BE packages(that has been on my [low prio]todo list for a
long time) but believe it is worth it. I know of some
(typo3-)installations that don't want BE-Stuff on production-system by
company-policy.

>>>Like Michael described below, the indexed search engine is located
>>>there, and many important fe-plugins could be there too.
>>
>>so why not just include that stuff in the FE-Package? Should not be
>>difficult.
>

> Because it could break so many other things and because the idea I suggested
> is much cleaner - have a look at it!

I *had* a look at it/your mail. Of course it is a nice idea! Something
similar is good practise via .htaccess or httpd.conf as well. It's just
a matter of why distribute files to a production-server which are not
intended to be used at all? I admit it might be of little practical
impact for "the masses" though i admit I still like the idea of splitted
packages.

Your idea could still makes sense as another feature, which would
require the BE-package of course.

>>I think you can serve TYPO3 Pages perfectly without BE-Login.
>

> Yes we can but this must not be splitted into two separate packages!

Certainly this is no "must spplit" but a "could be split". At least I
don't see a reason for a "must not" yet.

> Packages can only be installed by root, but config files can be edited by
> everybody who's allowed to do. Maybe this is one more reason to convince you
> finally!!

that's true! Actually you don't need to convince me but the maintainer. ;)

Cheers,
Peter