[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Thu Nov 18 09:08:44 CET 2004

Hi,

Sven Wilhelm schrieb:
> Hi Christian,
>
>>> Houston, problem!
>>> It makes absolutely no sense to split these packages! Please merge them
>>> again, even a finished page cannot be run without the backend part
>>> (typo3/...) of the package.
>>

>> please see my other mail for the reasoning
>

> it could be in theory that the splitting of backend and frontent be
> ideal and could work, but practical I also think it DOESN't.
>
> How would you like to handle all the extensions that are located in
> /typo3/ext?
> Would you like to keep them all in /typo3conf?

I might be naive but why not leave/put them into typo3/ext?
I wouldn't consider this to be 'backend'.
Any reason why this wouldn't work?

> Means that you have a great chaos to provide a standard installation on
> a system.

I don't see that it *must* lead to chaos.

> Like Michael described below, the indexed search engine is located
> there, and many important fe-plugins could be there too.

so why not just include that stuff in the FE-Package? Should not be
difficult.

> Michael has written a solution on how to disable the backend. We can
> practically use that. If you want it the clean way, write an localconf
> parameter to disable the backend (see the admin-only flag) and check
> it in the index.php file. Clean and practical.
>
> Splitting make sense if you can use parts of the system without the
> whole system, see shared libraries. It doesn't make sense everywhere.

I think you can serve TYPO3 Pages perfectly without BE-Login.

[...]

Cheers,
peter

P.S.: If I have a look at tomcat4 for example the debian-packaging seems
different than upstream as well. And to me it makes sense the way it is
done. I do very much liek the modular packagin which differs very much
from other dists imho. Well y'll agree on that anyway.. ;)