[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Thu Nov 18 00:24:36 CET 2004

Hi Christian,

>> Houston, problem!
>> It makes absolutely no sense to split these packages! Please merge them
>> again, even a finished page cannot be run without the backend part
>> (typo3/...) of the package.
>

> please see my other mail for the reasoning

it could be in theory that the splitting of backend and frontent be
ideal and could work, but practical I also think it DOESN't.

How would you like to handle all the extensions that are located in
/typo3/ext?
Would you like to keep them all in /typo3conf?
Means that you have a great chaos to provide a standard installation on
a system.
Like Michael described below, the indexed search engine is located
there, and many important fe-plugins could be there too.

Michael has written a solution on how to disable the backend. We can
practically use that. If you want it the clean way, write an localconf
parameter to disable the backend (see the admin-only flag) and check
it in the index.php file. Clean and practical.

Splitting make sense if you can use parts of the system without the
whole system, see shared libraries. It doesn't make sense everywhere.

> The Database packages will be upgraded and replaced, because the user
> "copies" the SQL into the given database. Nothing dagerous happen
> through the upgrade. Using the TYPO3 database analyser (or a similar
> named tool) it should be possible to upgrade the existing database using
> the new one.
Wrong. Upgrades are dangerous everytime. Otherwise you don't need to
backup your system. Companies spent a lot of time to have systems for
upgrade-tests (the best way to see that upgrades are dangerous is MS ;)
If you refer to the database-analyzer, this tool checks the schema of
the database. I don't know if they delete the complete static data to
insert the new one, I would say no.

>>> - package typo3-db-quickstart and typo3-db-testsite in a similar way
>>> I've
>>> done for typo3-db-dummy
>>

>> I don't think they make sense.
> I disagree, please see other mail for the reasoning

See above, splitting makes only sense if there is something to split and
you could use it without the other parts.

I've packaged the graphicsmagick and have splitted it on that rules.

One more word.
Always keep your eyes on data consistency. If you provide several
extension-debs, how do they depend on each other.

There is no extensive extension-review at the moment, so let the
extension-manager do the extension-management at the moment.

But also thanks for your packaging motivations ;)
Greetings Sven