AW: [Typo3-debian] Upgrade of PHP

Lars E. D. Jensen ledj-typo3 at dcmedia.biz
Tue Nov 16 14:45:46 CET 2004

Alexander Schories wrote:

>> IMHO as long as one only uses a couple of backported packages
>> the system is
>> still more stable and secure than a complete update to Sarge.
>
> I totally disagree. :)

Ok. A matter of opinions I think :)

>> Even though
>> Sarge maybe running smooth all ready.
>
> Oh yes, here it is at least since March 2004..

Mmmm. Here Woody has been running for years...
IMHO you cannot say that a newer branch of a system is as stable/secure as a
branch which have been running stable/secure for years including fast
security patches etc. Logically there's still more bugs/security issues to
be found in a new branch with updates to all packages.

>> Trust towards the
>> system is also an
>> important factor to me, that's the reason I use Debian.
>
> Well, i understand this somehow - however real trust has to be
> re-calculated from time to time anyways, because otherwise such "trust"
> would lead to simple "faith" and ,technically, to a full stop..

Of course you should update your own knowledge about branches of Debian.
That said I think Debian is the dist that can be put most trust in. When
Sarge go stable, you still have your sources.list and just update :)

>> But it could still call my friends like the new fancy phones and get
>> dropped on the floor a lot of times, point is that today it
>> still works
>> except that the battery should be changed. I wouldn't dare to
>> loose my new
>> fancy phone on the floor cause I know it would break!
>
> That example truly doesn`t fit in this case: It`s debian - the pure,
> oldschool qualitiy & performance linux - but with frightening wonderfull
> new features and packages. :D

Maybe my example suck, but I think our intensions is the same. Debian is
great :)

> I recommended backports until some weeks as well. And in some *special*
> cases it is a better idea to use *one or two* backport packages, but in
> the mid run you wan`t be able to use full-featured php and mysql
> backports, esp. when you want to use php with many built-in features of
> other packages. After successfully upgrading some systems from woody to
> sarge and after the looong time sarge has enjoyed in development, it is
> now - IMHO - an excellent time to upgrade as well.
>
> So i can`t stress that to much from now on as well:
>
> Michael Stucki and all the others are right in recommending Sarge. From
> its
> current point on it`s really stable and awesome fast. Please believe us.
> :)

Well, I would first consider upgrading when Sarge officially goes stable and
maybe I would even wait a little and look at mailinglists to see how
peoples experience is. I don't see any reason to upgrade a system which is
running great.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen - DCmedia - TYPO3 Business Solutions