AW: [Typo3-debian] Upgrade of PHP

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Tue Nov 16 12:30:25 CET 2004

> IMHO as long as one only uses a couple of backported packages
> the system is
> still more stable and secure than a complete update to Sarge.

I totally disagree. :)

> Even though
> Sarge maybe running smooth all ready.

Oh yes, here it is at least since March 2004..

> Trust towards the
> system is also an
> important factor to me, that's the reason I use Debian.

Well, i understand this somehow - however real trust has to be re-calculated
from time to time anyways, because otherwise such "trust" would lead to
simple "faith" and ,technically, to a full stop..

> Other
> distributions
> like free Red Hat products etc. seem "unstable" to me.

Agreed! :D

> It's like in the old days where I bought my first cell phone,
> it was huge!

Hmm, sarge is great - not huge. ;)

> But it could still call my friends like the new fancy phones and get
> dropped on the floor a lot of times, point is that today it
> still works
> except that the battery should be changed. I wouldn't dare to
> loose my new
> fancy phone on the floor cause I know it would break!

That example truly doesn`t fit in this case: It`s debian - the pure,
oldschool qualitiy & performance linux - but with frightening wonderfull new
features and packages. :D

> I see Debian as my old stable phone and other dists the new
> fancy ones.

S.o.

> In fact dotdeb packages is just backported packages from
> unstable, and it
> seems that a lot of people are using these packages too. The
> bug reporter
> feature at dotdeb is also very nice.

Yep.

I recommended backports until some weeks as well. And in some *special*
cases it is a better idea to use *one or two* backport packages, but in the
mid run you wan`t be able to use full-featured php and mysql backports, esp.
when you want to use php with many built-in features of other packages.
After successfully upgrading some systems from woody to sarge and after the
looong time sarge has enjoyed in development, it is now - IMHO - an
excellent time to upgrade as well.

So i can`t stress that to much from now on as well:

Michael Stucki and all the others are right in recommending Sarge. From its
current point on it`s really stable and awesome fast. Please believe us.  :)

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany

If privacy or security of communication is on your mind, feel free to
establish a secure transmission using the PGP public key obtainable from
http://www.schories.com/alexander/pubkey/alexander_schories.asc