AW: [Typo3-debian] Strange indexed search problem, server related I think!

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Mon Nov 1 14:18:08 CET 2004

Hello Lars,

that was in your post:

> SERVER: SERVER_SOFTW: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_perl/1.26
> PHP/4.3.1 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6c

A) apache

Apache 1.3.26 was released in June 2002. It is even not available in the
official apache archive http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/ anymore.

On www.apache.org Apache 1.3.33 is available. This is the 1.3 changelist:
http://apache.easy-webs.de/httpd/CHANGES_1.3 Please have a look for all the
changes yourself. It is far  too much to post here. :)

Not to mention that apache2 is out and working fine..at least here. :)  But
i know, that most sites rely on apache 1.3 because it is very stable.

However, apache 1.3.26 is the "latest woody / debian stable version"
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/apache . So in that case you are
absolutely right! And, at least, it does not contain huge (officially known)
security bugs.

I know a lot of sites still running with this truly stable version, even
with php 4.3.x - so you can leave apache in this version in my opinion
(because i don`t exactly know whether a manual compile of latest apache
version 1.3.33 would be successfull under current woody / debian stable
because of possibly changed dependencies and debian related patches).

B) php

But I do remember heavy trouble with php 4.3.0 to 4.3.3. They all resulted
in a lot of "code patching" in bigger, well known php scripts ( boards,
webmail ..) here.

So both of us would recommend you an update of that, because php is far more
important to typo3 than apache of course. Chances are good that this will
fix the strange behaviour.

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany