[Typo3-debian] No pages are found on the rootlevel!

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sat May 15 03:29:45 CEST 2004

Jack Sparcs wrote:

> [...]

As Steffen already mentioned:

> http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/typo3-3.6.0_woody_install.txt
>
> There I saw:
>      F) Enable InstallMode 3.5 + 3.6
>     --------------------------------------------------
>     #   * In /var/lib/typo3/typo3_src-3.****/typo3/install/index.php:
>     #     Comment out line 40 (the 'die()' call)
>     #   * Point your browser to the location you just created and complete
>           the setup
> I found this somehow confusing because it seems that
> in the middle of step F) it navigates user to step E) saying
>   * Point your browser to the location you just created and complete the
>     setup (what location I created and how to point browser there is is to
> be researched for novices...

- The order is right, otherwise you might forget to remove the comment on
  the left side of the die() command (that's security!)

- Even novices should at least know where their websites are located! That's
  just the basic stuff, sorry!

> + word 'setup' is on new line uncomented same way as other steps (like
> nano and so on) that needs to be executed so this will drive amateur linux
> person nuts!)

Of course, that's wrong. But come on, you speak some English, don't you?!
Everybody sees that the sentence above is not finished and therefore
continues on the new line.

BTW, all these basics should be clear for a server admin. That's why I don't
care about these 'nuts' you're describing here. This is a *server* and his
_maintainer_ should at least know some little basics of what he's doing
here!

> and than goes back to step F) asking :     # COMMENT everything in the
> block starting with:
>     #       // Insert some security here, if you don't trust the Install
> Tool
>     Password:
> which is also not clear cause all that is comented already...
> than two nano lines...!? what is that for?

nano is a small editor, the rest is just basic PHP stuff!

> We are lucky that doc has only one page. If it has 7pages and author
> follows this "jump somewhere now jump
> somwhere else and after gues what I mean" game than fans of RIVEN may feel
> like in 7th heaven but not us - average Joes. Thanks.
> All that just does not make much sence to me. Methodology of this doc is
> just plain bad wrong
> and should be done by someone who has no issues with explaining stuff
> clearly
> (even if I can see that author is technicaly totaly on admirable top to be
> honest and not to offend anyone) .

Your writing style is ugly, has many failures and generally doesn't suit to
a person who has just posted his 2nd mail and mournes so much about minor
bugs in a user contributed document!

(If you're lucky then Georg will read up to this place and will probably fix
the document.)

> Than there is:
>  mv /var/www/t3v35site/_.htaccess /var/www/t3v35site/.htaccess
> after what nothing works. I changed this back to _.htaccess and was able
> to get myself to location
> mentioned in STEPS E)
> Create db and all that is called - "finish setup" in first instance of E)

Basics!! .htaccess contains some rewrite rules, therefore you can be sure
that it would work fine if you used to load the rewriting module (and of
course, adjust AllowOverride in httpd.conf).

> and than I have: ERROR No pages are found on the rootlevel!
> http://www.sentiens.com/quickstart/

Please point to your phpinfo() and send me a link to where I can see the
resuls.

> Than I pulled 6.1 packages and tried to follow same procedure. Changed src
> link and so on.
>
> Could someone help please?

Cheers - michael
--