AW: [Typo3-debian] Sarge + PHP4-GD2 with gif dont work

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Wed Aug 11 17:34:53 CEST 2004

Hello Rene,

ist somewhat strange - because i wrote it down exactly like it worked for
me.

Please don`t get me wrong - are you sure you build (without errors) both -
gd2 and php4-gd2? Furthermore i use apache2. I dont`t exactly know, if this
could make a difference.

At the time i wrote the solution i was in the same situation: Will the
change from SuSE and RedHat, i used before, to Debian be a good idea? Now
the only proud answer is: Yes !!

The gif problem - all linux distros were facing - existed because of patent
situation.

Ok - now back to your problem:

- you could wait for Michael Stucki`s Sarge Packages (which should be online
soon, as Michael told me)
- you could extend your apt sources to the "unstable" tree, thus you can use
sid`s latest gd2, which of course now has full gif functionality again
(ATTENTION: as far as i know the NEW (gd 2.0.28 based) php4gd2 package under
sid is now just called php4gd (without the 2!)..although it actually is made
of gd2..!!!)
- you could try together with me to find the reason for the dependency
conflict

As you see, there are many ways in Debian to make a goal.

Now some questions:

Which php4 are you using, original 4.3.4 from sarge?

Were there any errors / warnings during compilation?

> question ( point 6 of your manual): after removing
> *libgd2-xpm* i can´t execute *dpkg -i
> php4-gd2_4.3.2+rc3-2_i386.deb* because *libgd2-xpm* is
> missing and has to be reinstalled first!
>
> seems there is something inconsistent...

Did you really made this before trying to install you php4gd, because
*first* there must be installed the "new gif enabled" gd2-libraries (you
compiled before). Only after that you can install your php4gd2:

Change into your /gd-2.0.26gif directory again and execute again

make install

Just short once again:

Basicly what you do is:

1.

Configure your gd2-source:

./configure --prefix=/usr  (NO tailing slash at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

2.

Compile your above configured source:

make

3.

Install the compiled gd2-libraries:

make install

4.

Get source of php4gd and build a new package based on your new
gd2-libraries, which you had installed at point 3:

apt-get -b source php4-gd2

5.

Install your new php4-gd2 package:

dpkg -i php4-gd2_4.3.2+rc3-2_i386.deb

--- Optional on some systems ---

6.

ONLY IF it still does not work try a cleanup:

Now clean up the system from the original but "broken" gd2 packages, because
they *might* cause strange problems (they did here..) and reinstall only
your compiled binaries

Uninstall original libgd2-xpm-dev and libgd2-xpm with

apt-get remove libgd2-xpm-dev libgd2-xpm

Change into your /gd-2.0.26gif directory again and execute again

make install

Change into your /php4gd2 directory again and execute again:

dpkg -i php4-gd2_4.3.2+rc3-2_i386.deb

I hope you`ll soon enjoy a working gd2 with gif support. :-)

Very best regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany