TYPO3 on Sarge / Sid (was: Re: [Typo3-debian] MySQL connection error while trying to install TYPO3)

Edelhard Becker typo3 at edelhard.de
Wed Sep 3 19:04:12 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:29:24PM +0200, Michael Stucki wrote:
> Edelhard Becker wrote:
>
> > Sarge & Sid: IMHO we can never say "does [not] work on Sarge and/or
> > Sid, because the combination of package versions might change daily.
> > Both are "moving targets" and every apt-get upgrade might break
> > something.
>
> Are you sure that - once the PNG issues are fixed in Sarge - it will
> get broken again?

well, why not? It's always possible that a new bug (that may cause
problems e.g. on certain Typo3 configurations and nowhere else) isn't
detected and fixed within the 10 days delay and so slips into sarge.
  [Ok,ok, with the same argument a bug might make its way into the
  next stable release, lets call it "hugo", but then we can say "for
  T3 on hugo use the package t3-3.5.0-hugo.deb where a fix is
  included --- but what set of packages is sarge?]

> So how about the current status? Is it possible to use TYPO3 on
> Sarge with either GIF or PNG support? Is the answer is yes: Which
> packages are required for that?

Since you asked (*sigh*  ;^) i just (Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:07:18 +0200)
updated my sarge UML, apt-get installed all your three typo3 packages
(which pulled another 40-something packages), enabled php4 in
httpd.conf, typ3-site-installer -d sarge-test (below /var/www), run
into the php4-gd[2] problem, tried to manually get packages from sid
or directly from the archive, (un-)installing several versions of
apache, php4, libgd (plus their dependencies) and ... gave up (Wed, 03
Sep 2003 19:00:07 +0200). People with sarge should (as of today) just
switch to sid or woody ...

Greetings,
Edelhard
--