TYPO3 on Sarge / Sid (was: Re: [Typo3-debian] MySQL connection error while trying to install TYPO3)

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 3 12:29:24 CEST 2003

Edelhard Becker wrote:

>> So can we say that TYPO3 will run on Woody and Sid (at least now) but
>> still not on Sarge?

> Woody: i didn't check it myself, but i'd say yes (if it help i could
> do a user-mode-linux install into a clean pbuilder environment to be
> sure, just drop me a note)

Well, I am very sure that TYPO3 runs find with Woody. The base package
contains a localconf.php which is already optimised for GD2 on Woody.

> Sarge & Sid: IMHO we can never say "does [not] work on Sarge and/or
> Sid, because the combination of package versions might change daily.
> Both are "moving targets" and every apt-get upgrade might break
> something.

Are you sure that - once the PNG issues are fixed in Sarge - it will get
broken again? So how about the current status? Is it possible to use TYPO3
on Sarge with either GIF or PNG support? Is the answer is yes: Which
packages are required for that?

> Maybe we can say "can be configured to run on S&S by carefully
> selecting the necessary packages", but then the question will arise
> "So which versions do you recommend?" My list was a hint for Jordan
> and may be a starting point, but there's no guarantee that it's
> complete...

Maybe I should add a reference to this thread and we just say "Use it at
your own risk. It may happen that things work / do not work by simply
running the upgrade."

> If anyone wants/has to run a Typo3 production Site on an unstable or
> testing system (for whatever reasons..) running a user-mode-linux
> woody distribution may be a solution.

I still wonder why people may want to use Sid (it's name is "unstable"!!!)
on a production server?!

However, thanks for your help.

Regards - michael
--