[Typo3-debian] What does the debian packages install?

Luite van Zelst luite at aegee.org
Wed Jun 11 00:50:27 CEST 2003

> many thanks for your explanation. I think everything should be clear
> now, right?! :-)
>
>> keep in mind, that i do _not_ have installed the debian package of
>> typo3, because it's not yet proposed to be stable.
>
> If nobody test it then nobody will report bugs - and I am not able to
> fix them...

I'll give them a try as on another server as well then... :)

>> afaik, there is no special gdlib package for typo3.
>
> Right. GD on Debian has no GIF support. Sorry for that, but is there
> really anybody missing it?
> PNGs are working great - I don't see a problem with that.

no gif: which is great ! because why do we choose debian?
1) it's GNU/Gpl, so no things which are not-compatible (like the gifs)
with this open and enlightend philosophy. Not having gif is not an
unpleasantness - it's a concious choice!
2) it has this really cool packiging system which allows people like
Michael to put it their valuable time, productively, to give us nice
packages in relatively little time, allowing us to sleep quitely through
the night without nightmares of compiling the right mysql, php or
whatever. *

so thanks michael!
and indeed - beginner questions about apt etc. are (as far as I'm
concerned) quite welcome, but maybe marked "OT" (off-topic) ?

greetings to all those tuxes out there,

Luite.

* = only imagemagick haunts us in our sleep