[Typo3-debian] Need testers for new package

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Thu Jun 5 20:55:09 CEST 2003

Hi Ben,

thanks for your reply. See my comments:

> 0.) Not all users will want to update their sites to new versions at the
> same moment ;-)

Hmmm. Would it solve the problem if we had a script that updates all databases
automatically?

If not, then we should discuss the possible solutions here. My only idea is to
make the version number to be part of the package name. Just like the kernel
source packages are made...

> 1.) The site-wide installation requires the install tool to be
> accessible for all sites when it is accessible for one site. Ok, well,
> could be protected on http server level.

Yes. But since this doesn't take too long, and since people still have to know
a passwort for getting in, I don't think that this is such a big problem. But
maybe I'm wrong?

> 2.) Most systems that host for users that do not trust each other will
> not allow the following of symlinks, only SymLinkIfOwnerMatch, which
> spoils the idea of a system-wide installation.

So its a problem of the hoster. You cannot handle global installations other
than with symlinks.

Cheers - michael