[Typo3-debian] Need testers for new package

Ben Peter ben at reddleman.org
Thu Jun 5 22:52:51 CEST 2003

Hi Michael,

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hmmm. Would it solve the problem if we had a script that updates all databases
> automatically?
>
> If not, then we should discuss the possible solutions here. My only idea is to
> make the version number to be part of the package name. Just like the kernel
> source packages are made...
see below (2).

>>1.) The site-wide installation requires the install tool to be
>>accessible for all sites when it is accessible for one site. Ok, well,
>>could be protected on http server level.

> Yes. But since this doesn't take too long, and since people still have to know
> a passwort for getting in, I don't think that this is such a big problem. But
> maybe I'm wrong?

I think you're quite right. The only concern is that there is sort of a
mismatch between the setup and the docs. For a site that runs the
packages, you would need to
	- make the install tool password known to all users
	- move the authentication responsibility away from typo3
	  to the http server
Seems ok, but should perhaps go into README.Debian.

>>2.) Most systems that host for users that do not trust each other will
>>not allow the following of symlinks, only SymLinkIfOwnerMatch, which
>>spoils the idea of a system-wide installation.

> So its a problem of the hoster. You cannot handle global installations other
> than with symlinks.

Well, yes and no. If the packages were setup so that the packagename
contains the version number (your idea above) and had a master-package
that provides scripts for both installation (which would copy the typo3
sources as well instead of symlinking them) and for upgrading an
existing installation, that would be settled.

Or copying the sources could go into another script and the sources
location would be queried by the dummy site installer.

Anyway, if noone needs it, why bother? It is only that I see the main
use for a debian package is making it available to a lot of users in a
shared environment. And if the hoster allows arbitrary symlinks to be
followed, the users have an obvious problem, so I'm not too unhappy
about that setting ;-)

Hey, btw: thanks for providing the debian packages!

Best,
Ben