[Typo3-debian] Need testers for new package

Ben Peter ben at reddleman.org
Thu Jun 5 14:23:52 CEST 2003

Hi Michael,

Michael Stucki wrote:
> I am almost finished with my next release of the Debian package. It's more a
> set of packages now, since I've added a meta-package that depends on all
> components (the base package only suggests them) plus a very small install
> script that fetches the dummysite and installs it on your disk.

I tried the packages and it seems to work well. There are some things
that I think need consideration when targeting at a system-wide
installation that all users can share

0.) Not all users will want to update their sites to new versions at the
same moment ;-)

1.) The site-wide installation requires the install tool to be
accessible for all sites when it is accessible for one site. Ok, well,
could be protected on http server level.

2.) Most systems that host for users that do not trust each other will
not allow the following of symlinks, only SymLinkIfOwnerMatch, which
spoils the idea of a system-wide installation.

I'm not clear on how to resolve these questions. I only know that the
problems apply to my situation ;-)

Ben