[Typo3-debian] typo3-base 3.5.0-2 tested

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Wed Apr 16 01:54:23 CEST 2003

Edelhard Becker wrote:

>> As I said tomorrow - two doors are safer than only one...!

> Some central config data in /etc/typo3/ would be the best solution
> IMHO. That could be listed in debian/conffiles which is much better on
> updates. What file(s) to put there are more (2?) options:

>  - your from above (single line yes/no entry)
>  - localconf.php could be physically stored there, with a link from
>    /usr/share/typo3... pointing to it, preserving especially the local
>    settings (database connection, install password, ..)

I think that's not a good idea to move localconf.php there. What if you have
two sites with the same name but in different directories?
I think putting localconf.php etc. in the webroot is ok as it is. What do
others think?

>> > Another (rather cosmetic) point i forgot until now:
>> > wouldn't it be more Debian-like to install everything into
>> > /usr/share/typo3/ and let the site-links point there, without the
>> > typo3_src-VERSION subdirectory and latest link? This IMHO is only
>> > useful if someone wants to install several versions in parallel.

>> We discussed this. I think it was Robert Lemke who said that there may be
>> a need to install different versions of Typo3 on one machine.

> Did a quick search in the archives and couldn't find it --- and still
> don't know why. A machine with unstable or testing is regularly
> updated, the stable release of Typo3 sometime will go into Debian
> stable (and stay there). Newer releases will be tested in unstable and
> testing, as all (well, most) of the other packages.

This was some time ago before we had this list. I did not find it now, so I
go and ask the "mass-providers" again (see mail in 'typo3-english')...

>> Backporting is a good hint! Who makes the backports if Kasper fixes a
>> whole in the official distribution? Right now, there's only one stable
>> branch AFAIK...

> That's (usually) the maintainer. Maintaining a package is not done
> with creating it (otherwise the job would be called creator ;^)

Yes, but this requires a very detailed Changelog. Have a look at a current
one, and you'll know what I'm talking of...

I think this could really be a big downside of putting Typo3 into official
Debian.

>> Boxed Typo3! :-)
>> This will motivate Typo3 users to switch to Debian!

>> And vice versa it's a good lure for Debian users to have a look at Typo3
>> when it's being part of the official distribution...

> I think you know knoppix. If we can't convince Klaus Knopper to put it
> into knoppix you can build a knoppix-spinoff (tools on the website).

Knoppix is just for testing purposes. What I want is a CD image that can be
downloaded, installed, and used as a full Typo3 Webserver.

Of course, this is not needed if Typo3 is already in official Debian...

Cheers, Michael