[Typo3-debian] typo3-base 3.5.0-2 tested

Edelhard Becker becker at edelhard.de
Tue Apr 15 13:02:16 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:18:50AM +0200, Michael Stucki wrote:

> >> I think yes! In my opionion, this is some part of security. If you need
> >> to change something in the install tool, go and comment the line out. But
> >> don't forget to activate it again when you're done!
>
> > This is the Typo3-way to do it, but i've never seen a Debian package
> > where root has to do temporary changes to a file under /usr...
>
> OK, that's right! What I could do is:
>
> - store setting (install = yes / no) in /etc/typo3/...
> - modify install.php to stop if config = no
>
> What do you think? I really don't like this script to be executable for
> everyone!
>
> As I said tomorrow - two doors are safer than only one...!

Some central config data in /etc/typo3/ would be the best solution
IMHO. That could be listed in debian/conffiles which is much better on
updates. What file(s) to put there are more (2?) options:

 - your from above (single line yes/no entry)
 - localconf.php could be physically stored there, with a link from
   /usr/share/typo3... pointing to it, preserving especially the local
   settings (database connection, install password, ..)

> > Another (rather cosmetic) point i forgot until now:
> > wouldn't it be more Debian-like to install everything into
> > /usr/share/typo3/ and let the site-links point there, without the
> > typo3_src-VERSION subdirectory and latest link? This IMHO is only
> > useful if someone wants to install several versions in parallel.
>
> We discussed this. I think it was Robert Lemke who said that there may be a
> need to install different versions of Typo3 on one machine.

Did a quick search in the archives and couldn't find it --- and still
don't know why. A machine with unstable or testing is regularly
updated, the stable release of Typo3 sometime will go into Debian
stable (and stay there). Newer releases will be tested in unstable and
testing, as all (well, most) of the other packages.

> So my plan for this is here (after release of Typo3-3.9.2):
>
> michael at nb02:/var/www$ ls -l /usr/share/typo3/
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root        15 Apr  2 01:38 latest -> typo3_src-3.9.2
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root      4096 Mar 15 15:50 typo3_src-3.5.0
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root      4096 May  9 11:27 typo3_src-3.6.0
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root      4096 Jul 27 21:53 typo3_src-3.9.2
>
> ;-)
>
> So the user can choose if he
>  a) always wants to have the most recent version or
>  b) stays with one version even after updating...

So with a or b he still is using only one physical installation on his
machine, right?  Shouldn't the user better do this by choosing the
"right" distribution (i.e. Debian flavour) for his needs, maybe
together with the help of apt pinning resp.  setting the package to
hold? The Debian package mgmt has tools built in to do what you intend
to reproduce (as i see it).

> I know, this will require that the packages contain the version as part of
> the name, right?! (The linux kernel packages are just like this...)

of course ... But packages with version number in the name have that
simply because of some nasty incompatibility between versions.

> > Thats of course true for every package in every distribution (apart
> > from security fixes or backporting), but that's "by design": if e.g.
> > 3.5.3 will be that stable that it will go into the next Debian stable
> > release (which is for production systems!), users of that release have
> > to wait for the next stable release of Debian. A Debian stable is not
> > intended to be upgraded monthly ;^)
>
> Backporting is a good hint! Who makes the backports if Kasper fixes a whole
> in the official distribution? Right now, there's only one stable branch
> AFAIK...

That's (usually) the maintainer. Maintaining a package is not done
with creating it (otherwise the job would be called creator ;^)

> >> BTW: My dream is to have a CD image containing Woody, Typo3 and all the
> >> stuff it depends on... :-)
>
> > I've read it in the TODO, but what would it be good for (beside being
> > an impressive demo)? Which webserver is temporarily booted from a CD?
>
> Boxed Typo3! :-)
> This will motivate Typo3 users to switch to Debian!
>
> And vice versa it's a good lure for Debian users to have a look at Typo3
> when it's being part of the official distribution...

I think you know knoppix. If we can't convince Klaus Knopper to put it
into knoppix you can build a knoppix-spinoff (tools on the website).

Greetings,
Edelhard
--
~