[Typo3-debian] typo3-base 3.5.0-2 tested

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 14 20:05:31 CEST 2003

Hi Edelhard,

> just installed the package on my system and have a few suggestions /
> improvements (Michael, I'll send you a patch via PM):

Thank you very much. Well done!

>  - a few more hints in README.Debian:
>   2 a few directories have to be created (typo3temp/ uploads/
>     typo3conf/ typo3conf/ext/ uploads/pics/ uploads/media/
>     uploads/tf/ fileadmin/ fileadmin/_temp_/
>   3 sample/default typo3conf/localconf.php is missing

I will add a modified copy of dummy.tar.gz so that people just need to
extract this file at the place they want to have a new website.

>  - for 2, 3 and 4 above i'll include a small script

Seems this script was missing in your patch! I'm going to include
dummy.tar.gz for that. I think that's easy enough for the moment...

>  - is the die()-call in
>    /usr/share/typo3/typo3_src-3.5.0/typo3/install/index.php necessary
>    for a Debian package (it will be recreated by each new
>    install/update)?

I think yes! In my opionion, this is some part of security. If you need to
change something in the install tool, go and comment the line out. But
don't forget to activate it again when you're done!

>  - shouldn't the typo3/temp/* files excluded from the package?

I asked René Fritz about that. If I remember right, he said there are files
inside that are needed for the backend. However, the thing is that it
should not be cleaned although the name says it's just a temporary
directory...

René, are there any updates on this? Can these file be generated
automatically?

Does anybody want to do the test?

>  - in the patch i've also fixed some lintian warnings (description
>    from freshmeat entry, LICENSE file, compress upstream changelog,
>    exim/MTA dependancy reversed)

Hehe. Seems I'm too stupid! The text on Freshmeat was posted by me! ;-)

>  - i'm currently in the NM Queue and waiting for the DAM creating the
>    account; once i'm a DD i'd like to sponsor the package and upload
>    it; is there any reason against inclusion of Typo3 into a major
>    distribution / any statement from Kasper?

I thought about this, and I think we should do that.
In Splügen, I had some discussions about this. There's one downside if you
include it in Debian: You won't be able to update the package after one
release has been freezed. This will result in 1000 people working with the
latest version and 20 people working with 3.5.0 from Debian... :-(

But I still like the idea. We just need some more time. The package is too
buggy right now.

BTW: My dream is to have a CD image containing Woody, Typo3 and all the
stuff it depends on... :-)

BTW #2: I didn't ask Kasper right now. Wait until the package is fully
working. I will go and ask him when this is done...

Kind regards, Michael