[Typo3-debian] typo3-base 3.5.0-2 tested

Edelhard Becker becker at edelhard.de
Mon Apr 14 22:12:26 CEST 2003

Hi together,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:05:31PM +0200, Michael Stucki wrote:
> [..] Seems this script was missing in your patch! I'm going to
> include dummy.tar.gz for that. I think that's easy enough for the
> moment...

oops, thats if one doesn't double-check everything. I've attached it
now really (its only 844 Bytes, just drop it in the debian/
directory). The script is straight forward (with a few security
checks), also creates a localconf.php and finally gives a hint where
to go next.

> >  - is the die()-call in
> >    /usr/share/typo3/typo3_src-3.5.0/typo3/install/index.php necessary
> >    for a Debian package (it will be recreated by each new
> >    install/update)?
>
> I think yes! In my opionion, this is some part of security. If you need to
> change something in the install tool, go and comment the line out. But
> don't forget to activate it again when you're done!

This is the Typo3-way to do it, but i've never seen a Debian package
where root has to do temporary changes to a file under /usr...

Another (rather cosmetic) point i forgot until now:
wouldn't it be more Debian-like to install everything into
/usr/share/typo3/ and let the site-links point there, without the
typo3_src-VERSION subdirectory and latest link? This IMHO is only
useful if someone wants to install several versions in parallel.

> >  - i'm currently in the NM Queue and waiting for the DAM creating the
> >    account; once i'm a DD i'd like to sponsor the package and upload
> >    it; is there any reason against inclusion of Typo3 into a major
> >    distribution / any statement from Kasper?
>
> I thought about this, and I think we should do that.
> In Splügen, I had some discussions about this. There's one downside if you
> include it in Debian: You won't be able to update the package after one
> release has been freezed. This will result in 1000 people working with the
> latest version and 20 people working with 3.5.0 from Debian... :-(

Thats of course true for every package in every distribution (apart
from security fixes or backporting), but that's "by design": if e.g.
3.5.3 will be that stable that it will go into the next Debian stable
release (which is for production systems!), users of that release have
to wait for the next stable release of Debian. A Debian stable is not
intended to be upgraded monthly ;^)

> But I still like the idea. We just need some more time. The package is too
> buggy right now.

We're working on it ;^)

> BTW: My dream is to have a CD image containing Woody, Typo3 and all the
> stuff it depends on... :-)

I've read it in the TODO, but what would it be good for (beside being
an impressive demo)? Which webserver is temporarily booted from a CD?

Greetings,
Edelhard
--
~