[TYPO3-about] Typo3 4.5 end of maintenance

Jan Helke typo3 at helke.de
Tue Sep 9 15:45:57 CEST 2014

4.5 in my opinion was the longest running TYPO3 version ever, highlighted and promoted on the TYPO3 download page. If you started with TYPO3 in the last 3,5 years and wanted a reliable base, you clearly pick 4.5. So it is absolute clear, that 4.5 has the highest number of installations.

But I don't think that the figures on t3census are a good base to estaminate the "need" for an extending of the LTS timeframe.

Because you can see there are also 104.000 installations of unsupported TYPO3 versions rotting around somewhere in the internet and nobody cares. So I am pretty sure, that a lot of this 138.000 installations will never get an update ever.

I am absolute with Jigal. If we don't drop the support for 4.5 in April and extend it e.g. till October 2015, we will hear the same discussion again at latest in July.

Besides of being stuck with absolute outdated tech, all the TYPO3 agencies and freelancers out there who where able to communicate the need to upgrade to there customers will be "proven liars with no insight of the TYPO3 community" because they "threatened with a need, that is not there".