[TYPO3-about] Typo3 4.5 end of maintenance

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Sep 9 15:37:28 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 9-9-2014 15:00, Michael Stucki wrote:
> I don't need to know that it means more work for the developers - this
> is obvious and clear to me.
>
> I'd rather like to know if there is a real need for the agencies to
> extend the support. What is their progress on migrating older releases?

The largest part of my post was that I noticed that at least a few
agencies started the migration track too late. This implies that they
will most likely not be ready in time. Whether that will be the case
will largely depend on how fast the migrations can be done (taking all
kinds of customizations into account).

The question is: was one year enough to migrate? This does not only
depend on the actual work for the migration, but also on other factors:
- time needed to make offers and get approval from clients
- possibility to fit migrations into clients budgets

If this is the reason for not being able to finish migrations before
March 2015 then this should be important in a decision to extend support
or not and how to arrange this.
To put it very bluntly: if migrations aren't finished in time because
preparation started too late or they couldn't start for reasons like
budgets: not our problem. Therefore my suggestion that agencies that
need it longer could possibly hire someone to provide extra extended
support.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor