[Tycon3] blurry video quality

Fabrizio Branca s_brancaBITTELOESCHEN at ira.uka.de
Wed Sep 21 15:21:40 CEST 2005

> Well - there were some serious offers in the ML to help out..

Yes, but transferring over 20 GB of original MPEG2 data is not easy :)

> hmm.. These are ~606 kBit/s and I guess there is audio included. If you
> use a 64 kBit/s OGG Vorbis audio compression you have ~540 kBit/s left
> for the video stream. So I expect these videos will be VERY good
> quality! The usage of the open source XVID codec would have been much
> better as it offers the same features as DivX 6, e.g. B-frames etc.
> What resolution do you use? The full PAL 720x576, maybe converted to 1:1
> VGA pixel aspect ratio (756x576)?

I've tried some settings and then I decided to convert the files to

Video:
320x240px,
12,5 fps
Audio:
11025Hz
Mono
MP3

I tried Xvid, but the results were larger files and less quality than
dvix. Maybe I could have tried more settings, but than I decided tu use
dvix.

> Which deinterlacing methode do you use?

blending

And beside deinterlacing I do:
sharpen
brightness/contrast
dynamic noise reduction

>> - wmv (less quality, but better then realmedia, 45 min around 30 MB)
>

> So here we have got ~90 kBit/s, which I call a really good bandwidth. I
> am looking forward to see the results.
> BTW - Windows media encoder has a very good built-in deinterlacer, so
> you can deinterlace on the fly.

My deinterlacing is done with the virtualdub filter when encoding to divx.

Bye, Fabrizio