[Tycon3] blurry video quality

Michael Perkhofer perki at bau3.uibk.ac.at
Wed Sep 21 14:36:50 CEST 2005

Fabrizio Branca wrote:

> (That means, spending at least one more day with the tycon videos, while
> I should do my other stuff...) So I started to edit them (deinterlacing,
> sharpen, brightness, noise reduction,...) and our computers are
> converting them now to

Well - there were some serious offers in the ML to help out..

> - divx6 (nearly original mpeg2 quality, 45 min = around 200 MB)
> and(!)

hmm.. These are ~606 kBit/s and I guess there is audio included. If you
use a 64 kBit/s OGG Vorbis audio compression you have ~540 kBit/s left
for the video stream. So I expect these videos will be VERY good
quality! The usage of the open source XVID codec would have been much
better as it offers the same features as DivX 6, e.g. B-frames etc.
What resolution do you use? The full PAL 720x576, maybe converted to 1:1
VGA pixel aspect ratio (756x576)?

Which deinterlacing methode do you use?

- Weaving
- Bobbing
- Blending or
- Adaptive?

> - wmv (less quality, but better then realmedia, 45 min around 30 MB)

So here we have got ~90 kBit/s, which I call a really good bandwidth. I
am looking forward to see the results.
BTW - Windows media encoder has a very good built-in deinterlacer, so
you can deinterlace on the fly.

Anyway - great job - the videos are VERY interesting, if you have not
been at the Tycon and its really great they are released to the public!
I really like Kaspers keynote, because it really gave answers to some
questions I had in mind about the way Typo3 develops at the moment and
in the future.

-Michael.