[Tycon3] do you know...

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb>] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Tue Jun 21 18:42:50 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:
> Well - having read that there is a number of about 300 people expected to
> visit the conference you can make a rough estimate:
> Assuming that all those 300 people will register before 31.07.05 and 50% of
> them might be students (although I don't think many students will be able to
> pay the fee) we will still get an average of EU 260,- per person. Total
> revenue: EU 78.000,-

did you take the 45.000,- sponsoring into account?

> Compared to the flatrates for the conference rooms you can find here:
> http://www.queens-hotel-karlsruhe.com/20_02_03_00_en.php3 and considering
> the fact that all speakers have to pay their stay on their own, there might
> be coming up the question:
> Who is making the business here and why should we pay an average price of
> more than EU 700,- for two days including journey and stay?

This is why I asked for a "Why come?" page.

> Sorry guys, but this is the first official conference of an _open source_
> project!

Um, not really (or I throw things).
The php Con has a admission fee of about 1.000 euros.
Mysql con isn't really cheaper.
But basically there are things happening that make sense for me to come.
This is NO offense against Tycon or the guys managing the event, I just
ask myself what's the benefit there.
Having studied the talks that are going on it was hard work to get one
of our "suits" to even think about coming.

> Many developers are students that simply can't afford even the reduced early
> bird price.
> And even for self employed "one man show" people with a family the pricing
> is much too high.
> Maybe you should ask for sponsoring of the ticket price instead of looking
> for sponsors for T-Shirts and coffee mugs.
>
> If this will be the final price, I definitely won't come unless I find some
> sponsors ...

Well, basically tycon would have to produce at least day of project work
in order to cut the price, more to become benefit.

I think what I needed is some information where the whole thing takes
place. We searched the site several times today but did not find and
place...

Pricing is fine, but on the other hand I think why renting the congress
center in KA is so expensive.
I was related to one of the LT planers and so I know the pricing of the
place pretty good... just thinking....

--
if ($GLOBALS['TSFE']->fe_user->user['ahnung'] == 0) {
	$this->fresseHalten = 1;