[Tycon3] do you know...

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Tue Jun 21 18:36:36 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:

> Who is making the business here and why should we pay an average price of
> more than EU 700,- for two days including journey and stay?
>
> Sorry guys, but this is the first official conference of an _open source_
> project!

Yep, I fully agree. It would definitely be possible to host a conference
for *much* less money. The point is probably how you define TyCon:

1. For a business conference, the price is quite common. See the various
German iX conferences, or related "enterprise level" stuff. But then I'd
expect some marketing people to come and see basically a TYPO3 show-off.
But at least some talks seem to contradict this.

2. For a developers' conference, it's much too expensive and
"business"-like. I don't need a fancy hotel and dinners and free drinks.
Look at the Oekonux conferences, the Linuxtag or the Europython
conferences. They are held in universities, offer no gadgets, for a
*much* lower fee. I also like the atmosphere of such events but that may
be related to me being a student.

> Many developers are students that simply can't afford even the reduced early
> bird price.

Yes, this is definitely a show-stopper for me, too. Travel and
accomodation is expensive enough, but the conference now would take more
than a month's income for me. And this goes for a lot of fellow TYPO3
users and devs I know.

So if an argument (and I'm certain this was already or will be brought
forward) is that TyCon should be a conference for *professionals*, than
this doesn't say anything about the quality of speakers or attending
people. It's just a social criterium about who will be there. That's
fine with me.

I do find it a pity that meeting fellow TYPO3 devs seems to be so
expensive, as taking part the T3 board tour is not really el-cheapo, either.

Okay, enough whining, I'm going to enjoy some music for free at the fete
de la musique now ;)

Cheers,
Michael