[TYPO3-t3dd] T3DD Sold out

Gina Steiner gina at typo3.org
Fri Mar 2 23:43:57 CET 2012

hi steffen,

> I really think the DevDays are already way to expensive, esp. for
> non-T3A members. By comparing it with most barcamps, the ROI is way
> bigger there.

regarding non-assoc-members: it's an assoc event and it's in our bylaws
that we have to organize events for the association. but you can surely
discuss if the prices are too hight in general (sum). one of the
purposes of the t3con is to get money to foster typo3 development, the
t3dd is for the boosting the development (thus for the core devs). so we
have no need here to earn money - at the end is has to come to 0. this
is the reason why universities can be good locations, they are cheaper.
so the price highly depends on the location you choose. this is the
decision of the regarding organization team and the possibilities they
have in this area. i was told munich is an expensive town. but we should
never exclude something if we think it can be done. i'm sure the munich
organization team will organize a great event and they have a good
sponsoring concept to keep the fees as low as possible. like i mentioned
before: the organization team does a survey after the event and surely
there are questions about the price. so if we did a bad decision i'm
confident that we won't do it a second time.

so we should try things - this is the reason why i wrote to patrick: if
you think it'll work with 250 people, try it out and incorporate some
additional questions regarding this issue in this years survey to get an
even better insight in the majoritarian opinion. if people say it was
too impersonal we can scale it down again next time.

> But our community is growing steadily! (I hope)
> How should new people join such an official event, if it's already
> booked by the old geeks, who attend every year? Newbies don't book
> without a published schedule.

i agree too. my dream would be to have 3 or even more t3dds all over the
world, so that we have a decentralized t3dd structure. this is what we
are: a big community of amazing individuals all over the world. the
community is not organized top down - everybody can join and everybody
can participate by helping or organizing something. it is so simple, you
can start like mario did in dietikon. there is no money needed, keep it
simple, share and spread the word. we should not focus on a center but
build our multiple, diverse, own centers. so my idea is not getting one
bigger and bigger t3dd but multiple personal ones. i see a lot of great
typo3camps - this is so way cool - and they could also do workshops (if
they like, or not if they don't like). i think this is a steady changing
and growing complex and maybe it will grow to multiple t3dds.

regarding the schedule: i always remind the people to keep their dead
lines and wrote lot's of reminders over the years. but we all know that
we are an open source community so most work is for free (and we all
have to work our normal day long to earn money, pay rents and feed our
children) so if you want to keep prices of the event low, you can't pay
the speaker, so you have to remind, beg and wait for lot's of things.

the 3 years in elmshorn i started the organization of the event exactly
one year in advance and the inoffical call for papers started two months
and the official one month before the ticket shop opened. we never got
enough talks in time to get the schedule ready. after all these year i
do not know what i learn from this. what i know is that i love our
community, their power, their engagement, all the ideas they have, all
their work they do. so i try to be patient (which is not one of my
strong points ;-))

> I guess the 215 ppl. event was Sursee last year? I think it wasn't the
> amount of people, but the structure of Campus Sursee. Compared to
> Elsmhorn, where all people met in the central grass, there was no
> central place in Sursee. That's what made it a bit impersonal IMHO.

no this was in elmshorn in 2010. the year we had to build up the tent
for the catering.

> Kind regards
> Steffen

i hope i was able to put some light on this topic.

best regards
gina

p.s. @frank: i read your mail but i think your points are also addressed
in this mail. i know the situation well if you have to argue with your
boss to send your developers off.