[TYPO3-t3dd] T3DD09 Coding-Night

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Nov 8 19:37:00 CET 2008

Hi guys,

> Francois Suter wrote:
>> In general core team members should try to make themselves rather
>> available in such events as it is a rare opportunity for community
>> members to meet them. I believe that most core team members are very
>> open to such contacts, but maybe they are just a bit too busy or maybe
>> hang around a bit too much together, I don't know. In this regard, it
>> would be better if the Core Days happened before the T3DD rather than
>> after.

I agree. It is somehow natural that we spend most of the time with those
people we know the best, but I agree we should do our best to not appear
like a closed usergroup.

> I can tell about my experience only...
>
> Sometimes contacts are a bit annoying. Some people come, look to
> your badge and speak with the idea in large eyes: "Wooooooooooooow!
> This is a core team member! Why don't I ask him something?" and ask
> a question similar to "How to wrap text with html tags in the TEXT
> object?" (10.wrap = <b>|</b>). Or they shake hands and say "I am
> John Doe, remember me asking you a question in the mailing list a
> year ago about wrapping text?". It is a pleasure to work for TYPO3
> but it is never a pleasure to be a TYPO3 celebrity. Sometimes I
> understand how Kasper feels being well-known to everyone.

Well, I'm sure you can handle this. I mean, it's ok if someone wants to
ask you something. That's how every conversation with a "foreigner" will
start. He will never come to you and ask you how your last holiday were.
And he may even be a bit cautios, as he wants you to get a nice image of
himself - which fails very often, as I remember from myself in former
times :-)

So this is your role to start to talk to those people. Try to be open,
and give them a warm welcome.

Maybe it happens that someone asks you something technical in a
situation where you don't want to concentrate on that. Then it is also
ok to say sorry to him, and ask him to write you a mail about his question.

Just try to be fair and helpful rather than appearing as arrogant (which
is not easy sometimes...).

Looking forward to the next community events...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out