[TYPO3-typo3org] Mailing lists: Delivery problems with Google Mail

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Fri Dec 6 22:55:53 CET 2013

Hi,

tl;dr
We hope it's better now, but Google Mail users have experienced a
loss/delay/spam flagging of TYPO3 mailing list mails. We're not sure,
if we can do anything against that atm.

We were informed of problems with receiving mailing list emails from
Google Mail users.

Issues vary between user and time from
- - no mails at all
- - mails flagged as spam
- - delays of some hours
- - mailman sends bounce warnings and wants to unsubscribe users

The root cause is pretty easy to identify:
- - we enabled IPv6 connectivity of the list server (srv102.typo3.org)
on Nov. 9th.
- - unfortunately, we forgot to set the reverse host name (PTR record)
in DNS
- - until Nov 24th, no outgoing IPv6 connection succeeded (Network
unreachable, which is weird a) that it did not work in the beginning
and b) that it then suddenly worked (and IPv4 fallback wasn't used
anymore)
- - since then, Google rejected the emails (at least many of them)
- - we got noticed about that on Nov 30th by Stefan Neufeind, after
which the PTR record was created
- - since then Gmail started accepting our mails, however we were told
about the abovementioned issues.

As the DNS entries can't be cached so long, I think that it might be
some bad scoring / penalty that Google gave our server.

We hope that everything is working fine now, otherwise we would try to
e.g. disable IPv6 again (or change to another address?) or whatever
one of you would suggest (we're open towards your advice, if you've
experienced similar trouble or know what to do).

Yours
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert