[TYPO3-typo3org] localizing the com (and org) site

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 24 17:59:47 CEST 2008

Hi Katja,

On 24.10.2008, at 14:34, Katja Lampela wrote:

> I hope this is now the right place - as was suggested to me (and if
> not,
> sorry, maybe you could inform me where to post this, thank you.)

yes, this is the right place.

> TYPO3 lacks local sites and this is a major drawback while promoting
> TYPO3 (at least in Finland). There is the german site typo3.de ->
> http://typo3.com/index.php?id=1221&L=2
>
> This raises the obvious question: could there be other localized
> TYPO3.lang sites also?
>
> Like TYPO3.fi -> which would lead to for example
> http://typo3.com/index.php?id=1221&L=3
>
> (well, with Finnish more likely L=99 ;)
>
> This would be a great way to make TYPO3 known in non-english-speaking
> countries. This would also give more reliable and established
> "feeling"
> of TYPO3 and its suitability for big projects.
>
> (The next step would be to translate/localize org, but that's another
> story.)
>
> So, this would need lots of translating, but I'm sure we have what it
> takes. What and how should I proceed with this, who should I contact?

Since long time ago it is planned to relaunch the content structure
and design
of typo3.org. At the same time typo3.com will then be merged into
typo3.org.

The respective project turned out to be a bit problematic
communication-wise
and was recently stopped. However, there's a new project team preparing
the relaunch right now, this time with a (hopefully) more successful
approach.

As soon as we have the new content structure online (and I hope that
this will
be the case still this year) we can think about localizing typo3.org
or parts
of it at least (those parts which currently reside at typo3.com and
are not
targeted to developers).