[TYPO3-typo3org] Abuse of "Sites made with TYPO3"

Christian Hennecke christian.hennecke at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri May 16 13:18:44 CEST 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:13:33 UTC, Daniel Hinderink <daniel at typo3.org>
wrote:

Hi Daniel,

> > This will obviously become less important with more people rating a
> > particular site. So I don't know if trying to make cheating harder would
> > be worth the effort. Still, it somewhat bothers me that some clowns are
> > bashing other people's good and hard work.
>
> First of all, I was really looking forward to find out how this would
> work. To put it nicely: the only motivation we can count on is amibition.
>
> I have doubts that a bigger number of ratings will even out something,
> for two reasons:
> - some people will always rate based on personal gripe against their
> competitors
> - other people will follow the trend by giving as many stars as the
> average has given.

I think you got a point there. And it's probably not just situations
where people have grudges. They simply vote down any competition to get
better free advertising.

> so any unjustified bad mark would need a number of people that rate it
> "too" good to restore a justified average. A really large number of
> average marks is not very likely.
>
> In practice that means the existing data in the ratings is not worth
> anything, so let's delete it.
>
> Since the playing around with the "deactivation" link has stopped since
> it requires a login, I think doing the same to ratings and flushing the
> ratings table in the process would be the best solution.

Agreed. Maybe plus a note that if abuse is detected, the offender's own
references will be removed and he will not be allowed to enter any new
ones. It's really sad to see that countermeasures like this seem to be
required...
--
"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden