[TYPO3-typo3org] [t3a-members] support.typo3.org: Lack of response from Alex of TEK Dev in US

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Wed Nov 28 02:20:35 CET 2007

One only has to read through all of the discussions on this thread to
understand why we are no longer involved in the community, or
providing the support.typo3.org news/forum.

When we saw a need for something that was drastically missing in the
community we repeatedly asked for solutions and volunteers and
received a surprising lack of both. We did, however, receive a lot of
criticism and complaints when we took initiative and researched
solutions ourselves, and began to implement what we saw as the best
solution to meet the real needs of the community at that time. Yes,
there was tacit "oh, cool" support from the association, but never a
prominent, permanent link to the URL from any official TYPO3 website,
or even official endorsement for the resource. We were always very
surprised that anyone actually did find the site at all. When we asked
for testers, moderators and knowledge base maintainers, we thankfully
received a few people who volunteered their time, but we also received
a lot of discussion and criticism for taking the initiative from
people who not only hadn't spoken up when we asked for opinions and
solutions ahead of time, but presented no other real alternatives at
the time within their discussions and criticism.

In the end, when the solution was setup through the donation of the
software itself plus the time from a few volunteers, there were
complaints by people who couldn't be bothered to donate either
themselves. When the solution went away, now there's more discussion
about a solution, but only from people who offered nothing but
criticism and/or ignorance when the original solution was being
implemented. The only time we received real feedback on the site was
when we finally stopped providing the server and network resources,
and hours of our time to it.

Even the subject line of this thread shows an inherent ignorance and
unprofessionalism in the language of people choosing to speak in a
public manner which has already been indexed on search engines for all
to see. And, everyone choosing to reply to the original post while
keeping the subject line intact offers tacit approval for said
ignorant and unprofessional language to represent the TYPO3 community
members. I have left it intact, intentionally, to allow viewers in the
future to reference the point that I am highlighting, and the people
who choose to use such language.

If you are wondering why resources and volunteers do not stay in the
community as valuable positive contributions, you have only to look at
this thread with clear, sober judgement for a clue.

Alex Heizer