[TYPO3-typo3org] The wiki as documentation engine

Elmar Hinz elmar07 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:40:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

during the documentation of apples and bananas I try several ways to use a
wiki like syntax for the documentation of TYPO3 extensions following the
philospophie of write once publish everywhere. A second motivation is to
speed up the process of writing by the use of the same text editors, wich I
use for coding. But I didn't find a way, to easily publish to
wiki.typo3.org and to manual.sxw at the same time.

a) restructured text:

+ Can be converted to HTML directly form vim
+ Can be used in TRAC wiki
+ Can be copied as HTML from TRAC
+ HTML can be copied into manual.sxw
- wiki.typo3.org doesn't understand rst

b) wikipedia markup:

+ It's the format ow wiki.typo3.org
- wiki.typo3.org HTML is to "dirty" to be copied into manual.sxw
- It's different from TRAC markup

c) TRAC markup:

+ It's the TRAC markup
+ Can be copied as HTML from TRAC
+ HTML can be copied into manual.sxw
- It's different from wikipedia markup.

Wheighting the results restructured text and TRAC markup are more usefull
than the wikipedia markup.

How could the incompatibilities be solved? Some ideas:

a) Finding restructured and/or TRAC plugins for wiki.typo3.org.
b) Offering a display mode of wiki.typo3.org that offers clean HTML,
   that can be copied into manual.sxw.
b) Direct export from wiki pages as manual.sxw.

Regards

Elmar