[TYPO3-typo3org] Better Searchresult template

Ben O'Hear ben at revelate.com.es
Tue Feb 20 13:03:16 CET 2007

Hi Boris,

My views:

- Bullets: To mis-quote Steve Jobs "You're using the Typo3 logo in vain".
[1] I don't see the need
to bullet search results with anything, but definitely not with the logo.

- Links should be underlined red, not green or anything else. No exceptions
(ok, one exception: navigation).

- I think the search screen would be great for an advanced search. I'd like
the basic search to be, well, basic (search field, search button, advanced
search link). It's an awful lot of decisions to be making on the default
view.

- I might be wrong here, but I find"order by" business more confusing than
useful. Would anyone on this list actually use it?

- The search field and button need to appear on the results page, so the
user can refine the search without having to click a link and lose the
context. I can live with the advanced options being hidden behind a click.
Possibly a snazzy javascript layer is the way to solve that one. (in fact
that works for the basic search page too, providing state is handled well).

- Try and avoid reversed type (White type on dark backgrounds). I think the
tickboxes could look great with the type black on a slightly darker grey
than the one behind it (if that makes sense). Another option would be to
remove the background to the search form and only have it for the tickboxes.

- Button: I really like the look of it, although I find the contrast a bit
on the low side. Again black type, light background would be better IMO. I'm
also not enamoured of how it moves on rollover. Looks like it's running
away...

- Which is not to say that some reaction on rollover and click are a bad
thing - that's very useful feedback.

- Though a more global question is: Do we need to use anything but a bog
standard button input? Mac users will get a shiny button, Windows users will
get a less shiny one, and all will be completely familiar with whatever they
get. Also saves us worrying about getting all the behaviours right.

- I think the paging should only at bottom - you probably don't know you
haven't found what you wanted untill you've reached the bottom of the page.

- This is personal taste, but I would not go for putting the paging links on
backgrounds.

Voila. Hope this isn't too much nitpicking (if it's any comfort I am
regularly on the receiving end of it :-). It is coming along very nicely,
and comparing it to the current search really shows that.

Best,

Ben

[1]
http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Swedish_Campground.txt