[TYPO3-typo3org] Consolidate - don't divide?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 20 23:53:07 CEST 2006

Hi Jan,

...I guess maybe we *are* arguing different things! lol...  :)

Based on Staffan Ericcson's, Dmitri Dulepov's and Daniel Brüßler's
beginning, I understood the question to be about non-www.typo3.org
destinations (news, buzz, wiki, and support) running non-TYPO3 software.
For non-main things (including bugtracking and the mailing lists),
sometime you do need to choose the best tool for the job, even if your
product is "creating software".

To carry that idea one step further, I would always say "use the best
tool for the job", but I would then also stress that if it is to power
the main site of a CMS producer itself, then make sure the "best" tool
is "our" tool. It would be embarrassing to use Joomla! or Documentum to
power TYPO3's site, so my vote would go towards making sure TYPO3 is the
best thing for the job. For that it would take a good, clear analysis of
what the site needs, what TYPO3's strengths and shortcomings are, and
exactly what it would take to get there.

Would it take volunteers? Well, you can't count on that because
volunteers' time and energy can be unpredictable (which is fine in some
cases, but not when you have a target you absolutely *must* meet). So
that would mean paying programmers. Does that mean outsourcing?
Possibly, if people within the community can't be "hired". So then, how
much will each item cost? Will it cost as much as purchasing another
system? Will the reputation be worth spending more than that on TYPO3 to
bring it up to where it needs to be?

Those are the questions I'd ask, not "should we use TYPO3 or not?", but
"how do we make TYPO3 the best/only choice for powering our CMS-based
web presence?"

Cheers!
Alex