[TYPO3-typo3org] Forum moderation?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 20 11:41:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Alex Heizer wrote:
>
>> What do people feel about moderation of the support.typo3.org forum? I
>> know that there isn't moderation for the newsgroups and mailing list,
>> but what about (generically yes-or-no) moderation for the forums?
>>

> Is there real need for moderation?

Not yet, but most of the posts are directly input from the mailing
lists. I don't know how things will change if more people start posting
there rather than the lists.

>> I've seen in other communities (open source and proprietary
>> software, non-software related, etc.) where they have a certain set of
>> posting rules, flagged words, etc., and the original mailing list
>> archives on the old typo3.com website were moderated at one time.
>>

> Current mailing lists also have kind of rules but they are not very
> strict (and often people break them). Though I do not see it as large
> problem.
>

>> So, generically, should the forums be "moderate-able", or wide open to
>> anything anyone wants to post?
>>

> In my opinion it would be better not to moderate but to archive useful
> information from forums/mailing lists to a dedicated section on
> typo3.org or wiki.

There's RSS feeds from the forum, so it would be possible to pull
directly onto other places. But then, it would be just from a category
rather than individual posts arbitrarily. But it would be useful to be
able to have posts to highlight things in other places, yes.

Alex