[TYPO3-typo3org] Consolidate - don't divide?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 20 10:37:31 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Alex Heizer wrote:
>
>> I think you're arguing something that wasn't the main point...
>>

> No, he is arguing with exactly that point.

No, he was saying we shouldn't use another CMS for the main sites.
Which, we're not, and and this particular discussion discusses something
else.

>> You're right, and it does. The question is about other services which
>> TYPO3 doesn't currently provide but some in the community feel it
>> should. Everyone agrees that TYPO3 should be used for everything it is
>> capable of doing. The discussion at hand is about *what* TYPO3 should be
>> capable of doing. It's not really about whether the main websites should
>> be using TYPO3 to power the main pages. The big points of contention at
>> the moment seem to be with the support.typo3.org forum, and occasionally
>> with the wiki at wiki.typo3.org.
>>

> My problem with support.typo3.org was that *support* site for something
> does not use that something in any way. This looks bad personally for
> me. Not for Kasper and Robert and you. But for me - yes.

Well, I think (from what I've read everyone saying) is that we'd all
prefer to have TYPO3 run for everything we need. But in the real world
it's not practical for some things. Which, yes, it's sad, but it's the
reality of having only 24 hours in a day, being volunteer-based, and all
that.   :S

> I have no enough weight/authority in the community to change this but I
> was really disappointed by this decision. In my personal opinion this
> was a very wrong thing to do.

And thank you for voicing your opinion, we'd be a pretty boring
community if we all agreed, and the software would really suffer if
people stopped saying "what if...?"

> It is not bad that we have support.typo3.com, it is great! However I
> would see it as running typo3 at least for home and several other pages
> (contact, disclamer, links to other typo3 sites). I.e. user enters
> support.typo3.org that is driven by typo3. But Jive may be a part of
> this site, no problem with this! I am not sure if it is possible
> technically but in my eyes this would be right thing to do.

Well, all the links except for the ones self-contained within the forum
itself all point back to main typo3.org pages, so I'm not sure what else
could be done. I guess what my question would be is... what *can* be
done with what we have available? Just make a landing page on the main
site where people click to then get to the forum? Again, it's all a
matter of doing what we can with the resources available to us.

> Anyway, it is done so it is done
Well, if you have any suggestions for getting from here to where you see
it, how do we move forward from where we are at now?  :)

Cheers!
Alex