[TYPO3-typo3org] Consolidate - don't divide?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 20 09:48:48 CEST 2006

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Alex Heizer wrote:
>
>> Every person and organization has a specific set of needs and
>> capabilities. No one can be all things to everyone, and no piece of
>> software is
>> an exception. Microsoft Word does not (yet) open Photoshop PSD files,
>>

> You are talking about different thing. Can you imagine that Microsoft
> uses Apache as a web server? Just answer: yes or no? Then think why.
> Then think why typo3 sites can use only typo3 as cms.

It's well-known that for a time Microsoft ran a set of UNIX mail servers
until they came up with a robust-enough Windows solution to meet their
needs. So, yes, it happens. That's exactly my point. Use what works
until the functionality is there. And a wiki, mailing list or forum are
not "cms".

> I am talking only and only about cms, not about version control, bug
> tracking, etc. So your words about feet and bicycle are not applicable
> to my words.

Again, my point. A CMS *could* have version control, bug tracking, etc.,
so why not use TYPO3 for that? Currently for the tools which are being
used that are not in TYPO3, there exists no comparable equivalent in
TYPO3. If your feet are too slow, you choose a bicycle while you take up
jogging so that you can improve your speed. If TIMTAW doesn't meet the
needs of the community, improve it but continue to use what *can*
provide what you need until that time.

In other words, which is more preferable?
1. Providing *no* solution while we wait for "someone" to code it?
or
2. Providing a solution during the interim so that at least we have
something while we wait for it to be available in TYPO3?

Since over 16,000 people (unique visitors in October to date) have used
the forum, I would say that option 2 is more preferable than having
nothing available for these members of the community.

Cheers,
Alex